Saturday, December 22, 2012

C'est la vie. Until next time


                So I’m home. It’s been a week since I got home from Morocco and I was really unsure as to what I wanted to write my final blog post about.
The last couple weeks there were crazy. Between writing and presenting my fifty page paper, packing, moving out of the apartment and worst of all, preparing for goodbyes. Where did the time go? On our far too early bus ride to the airport, I sat there saying, didn’t I just get here?
                All clichés aside, actually it felt like I just got there. For over three months I lived in a foreign, developing country where I didn’t speak either of the languages most commonly spoken. I lived with a host family, I traveled, I went to Amsterdam, I researched, I took classes and I learned so much while I was over there. So much about the country, people and culture I was immersed in, but also about myself.
                I was sad to leave. Sure, I was/am excited to be home. Especially for the holidays… But it’s hard being back home. I’m readjusting all over again. Here’s the thing though (this is how I’ve been trying to explain it to people…) I always knew I’d be coming home and that my friends and family would be here for Christmas break. There was never any doubt about that. The friends, who were basically family, that I made in Morocco? The chances of us all being back in Morocco to visit, is incredibly slim to none. This is what makes it hard. These people were there the entire time, through all of the adjustments, good times, hard times, ISP, traveling, everything. There were there and understand what happened in a way that people back home cannot understand.
                How was Morocco!? That question is asked all the time. And I asked it too when I had friends get back from being abroad. But honestly? There’s no way of being able to completely answer that. Morocco was hard, eye opening, fun, exciting, different, a learning experience and so many other things that I cannot put into words. Me and all those other people threw ourselves into a completely different world for more than three months. This is not something that can adequately be put into words.

                I am happy to be home though, like I said it is good to see my friends and family for the holidays. Although I would say I never got really homesick, I did miss everyone. It’s hard having to reassure people that yes, I did miss them and yes I do really miss Morocco already. It seems to be hard for a lot of people to understand that coming home from being abroad is not always easy. I lived there, in the community, for three months. Hell, that’s where I got my first apartment. These things aside, I missed everyone here. And to be a little selfish… I did miss luxuries such as:
1.       Western toilettes (And there being toilet paper in every bathroom)
2.       REAL SIZED COFFEE (and to go)
3.       The freedom as a women to: A) talk to men freely. And B) not get cat called.
4.       Getting my ability to communicate back.
I can honestly say though…I would love to go back to Moroccan weather…all this rain and cold and wind…not loving it. Hopefully it will clear up for Christmas though. (It is nice being back around all the Christmas stuff though…)

Then comes the next question though. Would I go back? Yes, I would go back, in a heartbeat. I would not hesitate for a second to go back and travel around some more.
                It definitely would not be the same though. Sadly, my journey to Morocco has come to a close and now I am getting ready for my next adventure to India. I am excited and nervous. Will I love it as much as Morocco? I’m sure I will continue to reflect on my experiences in Morocco, while I’m in India. These things take time.
                I would love to shout out quickly though to all the fabulous people in my program, Kelly, Leah, Ronja, Nikki, Jordan, Becca, Kelly, Camilla, Monzi, Josh, Ben and Sophia. You guys made the semester so fabulous and you are great friends. I miss all of you.
                Of course there are so many others that played a huge role in making the semester what it was, probably too many to list out. But they know who they are J

Final words of advice? I encourage anyone to go abroad. It is an experience of a life time and you will not regret it. Push yourself, you’ll gain so much from it.

Until next time Morocco!

No comments:

Post a Comment