Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Birthday Bashes and Keshba exploration


As usual, a lot has happened in the past couple of days. Monday, it was my host sister, Marwa’s ninth birthday.  Birthdays are a really big deal here, far bigger than in the United States. There was cake (which was also served as an option for breakfast the next morning?) cookies, chocolate, goodie bags, balloons and so much else. Oh, did I mention that dancing is HUGE. And let me tell you, the women here, break it down big time. It’s all about shimmying, and shaking your butt. This, I have to say was kind of surprising given that I’m in a fairly conservative country. It was like they were able to let loose and relax. They would tie a scarf around themselves right under their butts, and dance like belly dancers; except a lot of them were in their jalabas and hijabs. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all, but it was so much fun and such a great experience. Marwa got dressed up in a fancy white dress, got her hair and make-up done; and wore lots of flashy jewelry.  The mix of music was traditional, modern music in Arabic, but they also LOVE Pit Bull and played California Girls by Katy Perry a million times. We danced until about eleven but then we had to clean up because the kids all had school in the morning.
I want to point out again, that this party was for a NINTH birthday. All their parties are like this. They are very involved with their families and really make sure people are served well and have a great time. It was quite different then parties in the U.S for one main reason as well. In the U.S, for a party to be considered a party, there seems to be this need for alcohol. Here, drinking, in general, is Hashouma, or shame; especially among women. Also, being drunk in public, is really, not okay, and is actually illegal. It’s all about the company and presence of family and friends. The close relationships people have here is something I truly respect and look up to. There is a true sense of community here, especially within the Medina.

Mamita Karima and Marwa
Me and the Birthday girl
 Dancing to Katy Perry
 Striking poses while she looked so pretty
 Cake: served as dinner, dessert and breakfast
 The family!
 Papa and Marwa
 Marie and I trying to process all the booty shakin'

   Everything else has been exploring the city and markets. I’m always finding new things, just within the Medina. The Keshba is something fun to explore, it has little shops and cafes and a fabulour view of the ocean. I’m really excited to explore outside of Rabat, and this weekend we’re going to head to Marrakesh and the Atlas Mountains. Then next weekend is my village homestay for few days.  I’m really hoping that the traveling is going to help with deciding what I’m going to do for my independent study. I’m really thinking I want to look at how migration is affecting the Moroccan sense of cultural identity. There is a lot of migration both leaving Morocco and people coming into Morocco from other parts of Africa. Such an eclectic group of cultures is surely going to affect the culture within Morocco.  It’s something I am really going to have to consider as the ISP grows closer. 

The view from one of the cafes in the Keshba



These little guys are ALL OVER the city.

My street

The door to my house
             
                Every day is bringing something new and different that I have to process, including the three hours of Arabic I have every morning. Figuring it all out is difficult, and I’m finding that things will occur to me at random points throughout a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment