Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Let's have a Berber conversation....


I apologize in advanced that this is a really long blog....lots of pictures though!

How it starts: Fun fact: in a regular cab, you have six people including a driver:


 So I went to Marrakech this weekend, and needless to say it was bit overwhelming.  It started off, rushing to the train station to catch the 5:45pm train, and it was a four and a half our ride. We stood for about an hour, and then the group of us all managed to find seats.  In my cab, we had a couple young women who wanted to practice their English with us, and we talked for most of the ride there. We could practice our Arabic, but we were sufficiently less fluent in Arabic than they were in English. They were all very welcoming to us, and again, reassured us that America and Morocco were friends. They were excited to hear that we were students studying in the old Medina of Rabat, and were enthusiastic to share their culture with us.  It seems, that when I say I came here to study and learn Arabic, the people become even more friendly, and are more than willing to help me.

When we got off the train, we’d been told that our hotel was within a twenty minute, to half hour, walk. Well, we have learned that in Morocco, their sense of time and distance is very different than ours. It took us an hour to get to the hotel, walking, and get in and settled. We experienced a little bit of the square’s night life, and certainly witnessed some differences in Marrakech versus Rabat. Marrakech is a very popular tourist area, Rabat, less so. There were tourists all over the place. Another difference was the dress. Marrakech apparently has a very popular night life, and there were plenty of women walking around in what we would consider average club clothes. If a woman dressed like that in Rabat, it would be assumed she was a prostitute. I’m not sure if it’s more acceptable in Marrakech simply because it’s a more touristy area, therefore less conservative, or what. Either way, the environment was completely different than what I’ve experienced in Rabat and the Medina.

The rest of the weekend consisted of sellers trying to rip us off,  getting henna, making friends with our cab drivers, having Berber conversations/defending my water bottle, visiting with camels, almost getting hit by runaway donkeys,  and doing touristy things at these fabulous touristy places:
                -La Koutoubia (A Mosque)


                - Les Jardins Majorelle (A beautiful home and garden by an eccentric artist)




                - Le Menara (Another Mosque with the Atlas Mountains acting as it’s backdrop)


Oh and we found some camels on the way....

                - The Royal Theater (Which is currently acting as an outdoor theater, because the inside still isn’t finished)


                -La Medersa Ben Youssef (One of the oldest and most famous schools for studying both the sciences and the Qur’an)





                - The tannery’s (Where they make their leather products. Fun fact: they smell really bad so they give tourists mint leaves to sniff. It’s because the product they treat/color the leather with is made with pigeon poop…)




                -And finally the Place Jemaa el Fna (The main square where the nightlife is amazing, it consists of a village of restaurants putting up tents, snake charmers, monkeys etc.)
It was hard to get photos, so I have a picture of Leah and mines henna.

All of it was beautiful, unfortunately, I couldn’t go into the mosques because I’m not a Muslim. However, I can imagine they are just as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside.
As for my Berber conversation....this happened when I went to a shop near the tannery's. I saw a bag I liked a lot. It had silk and camel leather. I asked him how much he was asking for it. (Now, keep in mind, you almost always bargain here..unless there are prices posted, it is expected that you bargain.) He said, "Let's have a Berber conversation, I say how much I ask, you say how much you ask." 
Then he said 900 dirham (This is the equivilant  of $105.61 in US money) That is A LOT of money in Morocco. Basically, I laughed (Because a) he was clearly trying to rip off the tourist and b) I didn't have nearly that much money on me.) Rule of thumb, go down to about a quarter of the price they ask...So, I said I had 200 dirham (which, actually, was about all I had on me at the time...) He said, no no keep looking in purse see if I had more. Which, I did, and by some more, i mean some lose change that added about another 20 dirham to the price. Then he asked me for my Klean Kanteen water bottle and was like "Give me this, my son would like this for being in the mountains." Well, needless to say I refused because well, I need water for when I'M in the mountains. I kept refusing to go any higher in my price (or give him my water bottle) and eventually we had to leave. As we started getting ready, he said "We are brother and sister, you and I. Give me money you have... for bag." In the end, I got my bag for 230 dirham, which is about $27 dollars in the U.S. Needless to say, I was quite proud of my unintentional bargaining skills.  Moral of the story? When someone says have a "Berber conversation" be prepared to protect your water bottles!

All in all, it was an interesting comparison between Marrakech and Rabat, because although they are in the same country, they are very, very, very different in many ways. I was really glad we had a chance to explore the city, and actually hope to go back again for another weekend. The mix of modern and traditional is really interesting. Although the city was very modernized in a lot of ways, it also had a lot of things like donkeys leading carts, and the further into the Medina you ventured the less and less “developed” it became. I put developed in quotes because although it may be viewed as more rural, there is definitely a specific system to the way things work in the old Medinas.

On a side note, something that will get taking used to (Well, one of the many things) is that protests are very common here, especially regarding the dignity and rights of workers. They happen a few times a week, at least. However, something that is very unique to Morocco is that they very rarely get violent and they’re controlled. The police are very clear, that yes, they have the right to voice their opinion, but as soon as things start to get out of hand, they police will do something about it. It is something that we have talked about in my seminar classes here, and just with people in general who are familiar with Rabat. It is so common, and the fact that the right to protest is respected, there is almost never a problem. We still, have to avoid them for obvious reasons, but Mohammed 5, the main road, is the main area of protests. We could see them from the cafĂ© we were sitting in. No one responds, they simply get out of the way when the police come in to make sure things stay reasonable. There was no violence, a little bit of running around and chanting, but all in all, it is a peaceful event.  The dynamic and difference here from the U.S is interesting…

No comments:

Post a Comment