Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quick Update

           I just wanted to reassure people, that the program I'm studying with is very much aware of the riots at the US Embassy in Casablanca, and assures us that we don't have to worry about anything. The program, if things were to escalate, would get us safe elsewhere, before things got out of hand. We are careful and will continue to watch the situation. However, protests are common.

Here's some food for thought though. This video that is causing the protests, and the assassination of the of the U.S Ambassador to Libya, is an awful and insulting video on so many levels. The creators have admitted that they were expecting reactions like this. Is this something that should be fall under freedom of speech? Or should the movie be prevented from being released? Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and I'm currently studying in a country where the freedom of speech about religion, or challenging the King, is not acceptable. It is an interesting experience to have to watch what I say in public spaces, so I can really appreciate the freedom of speech I have at home. However, these creators made this video, were aware that there could be negative results, like the death of an ambassador and riots throughout Muslim countries. They were expecting an outcry from the Muslim community throughout the World. Should they be held responsible for the actions they've taken? Should the government step in and not allow the release of the video? Where does the line of freedom of speech cross with endangering the safety of people? I think a line has been crossed that never should have been crossed.

My host family, is apologizing for the actions of their countrymen in Casablanca, when really, I feel I should be apologizing on behalf of mine.  Even with the language barriers, I made sure to express that I do not agree with the creators in any way. My host Papa assured me Morocco and America are friends.

Just some things to think about.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kiley,
    After reading your blog, about the woman in the marketplace who deferred to the man when asked a question, Scott wants to know why men (and strangers)can't talk to women when men are present.
    Paige wants to know more about how people are treating you even though you are an American (especially given the recent troubles).
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, The woman that we had approached, was far more traditional in a lot of ways and fairly covered. This probably played a role in why she deferred to the man. In more traditional settings or families, the women, tend to be secondary in the social circles outside the home. As a result, she probably automatically referred to the man.

    Paige, that's a really great question. I actually traveled this weekend, and we were told to be cautious about traveling in large groups. However, every person I've encountered has reassured me that "Morocco and America are friends." In general, people's reaction to me as an American, is less of a big deal, than a mans reaction to me as a female. Even with recent tensions over here in response to the video trailer, in general, they are able to differentiate between one, american movie maker, and the rest of the American society. Especially when I tell them I am a student here studying Arabic and living with a family, they especially get excited. They are very welcoming and like to show me their culture.

    Let me know if you have anymore questions!

    ReplyDelete